Summary for 07/08/20 DC-Hillsborough
Thank you to those who joined the conversations during the July 8th Death Café – Hillsborough (DC-H) – our fourth Zoom call. Using Zoom has changed our dynamic yet it also allows new people from faraway places to participate; thank you to the six new folx!
- For those who had one handy, we lit candles then sat in silence to honor and remember the lives and deaths of BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People Of Color). “We will change this world.”
- As mentioned, be sure to email the NC chapter of the Funeral Consumers Alliance to receive their Dying to Know e-newsletter: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: https://www.funeralsnc.org/
- Topics we discussed and shared: Common myths about funerals https://funerals.org/?consumers=common-funeral-myths/; End Of Life Doulas https://www.nedalliance.org/our-mission.html; Living with a terminal diagnosis, having one to five months to live; Being afraid of not managing one’s own death, the fear of missing out on significant milestones in our own and loved ones’ lives, and the fear of not knowing when we will die; How do we each want to die; Bucket Lists – do you have one, how it changes, the pain of needing to let go of some items on it; Legacies – how do we want to be remembered, what kinds of legacies are left to us including ones we may not have ever been involved in before (such as gardens), leaving a personal passion for loved ones to adopt and carry on; the three types of death in Mexican culture 1) awakening to your own mortality – realizing you are going to die, 2) your actual death, 3) the last time someone says your name. Short video: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=293420374590168&id=1578052705792342 If you haven’t seen the movie “Coco,” many of us recommend it with a smile --- trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvr68u6k5sI
- Helpful resources/websites mentioned during this particular DC-H: Death With Dignity https://www.deathwithdignity.org/; Dying Right NC https://www.dyingrightnc.org/.
- Here is an article you may find interesting:https://hospicenews.com/2020/07/06/lack-of-caregiver-support-adversely-impacts-hospice-utilization/?fbclid=IwAR1SEH5HkhrnifplTQYLXgrf28HpnEZieuXs0J8JzAG4iBl5X_4EsmkeWMc
- If you like jewelry featuring skulls and Dia de Muertos themes, check out https://jewelzella.com/
**I am taking a much needed break in August, mainly because it holds many personal death anniversaries including the ‘one-year’ of my partner/husband. I will resume DC-H in September. Mark your calendars for the next DC-Hillsborough September 9th, 6pm-8pm, most likely via Zoom meeting.I will email a reminder which will include *the Zoom link* 2-3 days prior.
If you are on Facebook, please “like” the Death Café-Hillsborough page (search @deathcafehillsborough).
DEATH CAFÉ – Hillsborough VIA ZOOM (MOST LIKELY)!
SEPTEMBER 9, 2020 6:00 – 8:00PM