Posted by MidwichG
Hosted by Victoria Keen
April 5, 2020
3:00 p.m. (GMT)
3:45 p.m. (GMT)
Contact the organiser
About this Death Cafe
Death is generally considered a taboo subject in Western culture. Our objective is to increase awareness of death and explore how this may enhance our everyday well-being.
Due to the situation with Covid-19 this Death Cafe will be held online using www.zoom.us
HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED
TO DO TO SET UP ZOOM TO JOIN ON 5th APRIL AT 3pm.
Follow this simple step by step guide:
* Zoom is very user friendly and we will all work together to help each other with this alternative Death Cafe; so if you are not computer savvy, as long as you can get into the chat do not be nervous and think it isn't for you. Have a go we really want to see you.*
1) Download the Zoom app to your mobile phone or sign up at www.zoom.us on you computer; this is free.
- If you download on your computer it is better as you can see everyone who is there at the same time.
- On your phone you just see the person who is talking which still works but if you have the choice I would go the computer route as long as you have a camera and microphone on your computer, which most do.
2) Prior to the meeting please make sure your settings are all set to enable video and audio.
3) Very Important - Make a drink and grab a snack of your choice.
4) On 5th April at 3pm or just before so we can iron out any technical issues click on this link https://us04web.zoom.us/j/739860682 to join the meeting.
- If you are using a mobile you will need this Meeting ID: 739 860 682
5) You will find yourself in a waiting room if the meeting has not started yet and will be invited in.
6) Message with any problems or questions.
7) PLEASE CAN EVERYONE ON A COMPUTER MUTE THEMSELVES ON ENTERING THE MEETING. WHEN YOU WANT TO SPEAK YOU CAN PRESS YOUR SPACEBAR AND KEEP IT HELD DOWN AS YOU SPEAK TO BE HEARD.
- We can go through this at the start of the meeting again so don't worry too much before.
- The reason for this is that if anyone makes any noise be it a cough or sneeze or something going on in your home; you will automatically flash up on the screen as the person who is talking which will be distracting.
- If you are on a mobile I don't think you can mute yourself so try to cough and sneeze away from the phone.
- Also if you are on a phone or tablet do not take us with you if you need to go to the bathroom as someone recently did on zoom meeting in the USA.
The same Ground Rules apply for the 'Virtual' Death Cafe as for all of our previous Death Cafe's.
Please make sure you are familar with these before joining the meeting.
1. Listen to others as you would like to be listened to yourself.
- Please be mindful that some people are not as confident as others so allow everyone to speak.
There is a facility to raise a hand emoji which we will show you how to do to make sure everyone gets to speak if they want to.
2. Respect each others views and beliefs.
We will all have different ideas so please understand that other people will have different views to you which is why it is interesting to come together and discuss these. This is however not a place to enforce your views on other people and anyone who makes other people feel uncomfortable doing this will be asked to leave the discussion.
3. Confidentiality - what is said in the group stays in the group.
Please be comfortable that this group is a secure, safe place to speak and it is definitely not being recorded.
Death Cafe's are discussion groups rather than grief support or counselling sessions.
About Victoria Keen
Victoria used to attend Jamyang Buddhist Centre at the same time as Jon Underwood, the founder of the Death Cafe movement, when he was manager.
Contact the organiser of this Death Cafe
Please also see: https://www.facebook.com/groups/sylvanroaddeathcafe